mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
As complicated as DHP is, I would not personally use spacers. I can see the extra moment (torque from a longer lever) being a problem for the active roll stabilization system - as in putting more torque than the system is designed to handle.

But this is my opinion and speculation.
Ok I love this sort of stuff.
I've always put wider wheels (and often tires) on all of my vehicles, so your thoughts, which sound like they make sense, prompted some fear and about 6hrs of googling and trying to dig up some answers to this. Couldn't find much, BUT...

I was looking mostly at last model X5 forum posts on vehicles with DHP, and in that discovered that the F85/F86 X5M and X6M have DHP standard on them. (Didn't go as far yet as looking into if the Active Roll Stabilization systems themselves are the same across different models ie. X5m X5 50i etc, but out of curiosity will)

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1052311

My conclusions (which I was STRONGLY biased towards going in this direction, so view accordingly)

1. Many X5M/X6M owners put aftermarket wider rims and or tires on their vehicles.
2. Very few posts in forums or google search on failure of Active Roll Stabilization failure on any BMW model with the feature.
3a. Buy spacers for stock wheels.
3b. Fit largest width wheels possible to front and rear.

In all seriousness, given the large amount of X5M's I see with wider aftermarket wheels and the lack of info on the system failing, I'm not concerned about it enough to be held back from going wider.
Thanks for looking into this. I have 15/12mm spacers sitting in my garage and I have been reluctant to put them on but It sounds like it shouldn't cause any problems.
Appreciate 0