08-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #172
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Never tried that...what's the process?
Step 1: Get a large slab of beef, preferably with the bone in and fat cap intact.

Step 2: Age in temperature and humidity controlled space with adequate airflow. I used an old mini fridge in the basement with a small fan. The temperature in my mini fridge fluctuated wildly so I had to check on it at least twice a day to make minor adjustments.

Step 3: I aged this slab for 30 days. Most say you need at least 21 days to notice any appreciable improvements in tenderness. I found 30 days to be the sweet spot with a beefier flavor and good tenderness. At 45 days, the tenderness is even better but the flavor takes on a cheesy/nutty aroma, which is an acquired taste.

Step 4: Trim off dried crust. Started with a 8 lb slab. After the moisture loss and trim from the dry aging process, I am left with just over 5 lbs. Notice the intense, deep purple color of the beef compared to the light pink I started with.

Accounting for the 3 lbs I lost during the dry aging process, I estimate that I paid about ~$18/lb to dry age my own beef, which is easily at least half the price of buying it that way.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1