03-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #28
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
Agreed, I've followed the advice of the App and Factory Data reset my phone this past weekend, no luck! I've been working with my local service manager, BMW US support and they are now working with technicians in Germany to allow me to reinstall my new 2020 digital key on the same phone as my 2019 key.

Evidently I failed to follow the correct procedure for maintaining control of the 2019 key. When either moving to a new digital key subscription (2019 to 2020) or transferring the phone based digital key between devices or even going through a Factory Data Reset on your same phone, best practice is to:
  1. First remove the Digital Key from within the ConnectedDrive phone based app (they really ought to make this procedure clear in both the App and iDrive)
  2. Then remove the keys emergency access from within the iDrive interface from within the car

Otherwise as I have unfortunately found is that removing it from within the car iDrive interface first seems to lock out that phone from being eligible to accept the new 2020 digital key and I get the dreaded"No Digital Key Usage possible" message within the app.

I've been able to install my new 2020 key on a new phone (not my phone - borrowed one for proof of concept purposes.) I returned the digital key on the borrowed phone hoping that it would trigger a properly returned key sequence; but no luck.

So it seems the BMW Digital key server marks iDrive removed phone keys as ineligible devices for a new key installations, even persisting after Factory Data resets, what a pain!

My digital key is set to expire next month and I was about to renew it until I read this post. I don't want to do it and then run into all of these problems. Just so I'm clear.

1. I have the same Samsung that my 2019 key is on.
2. First remove digital key from Connected App.
3. Remove digital key from car.
4. Renew 2020 digital key online.
5. Then reload it on my phone? I'm not clear on this next step since I did it at the dealer originally and they had to take some steps on their computer.

Are the steps accurate and are they confirmed to work? I was going to originally update my subscription online and then assumed it was going to update automatically. Guess I'm wrong.

Another question, I read we could share a digital key with 5 members. I called BMW and they said you do that online. However, in my BMW portal there is not such option. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0