08-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post
We just welcomed a newborn, so this is my first experience with putting a car seat in any vehicle. We bought my wife's M50i after knowing that a baby was coming. With that said, I would have NEVER thought that a baby seat behind the drivers seat would mean that I (at 6' 1")wouldn't be able to to sit in my normal driving position. So we put the seat in the middle, while stretching the straps to the max to reach the latches, which seems just as secure as on either side.

Which begs the question, the X5 isn't considered to be a small vehicle by most people, yet a baby seat doesn't fit without the driver or front passenger comprising their position. So what do people with smaller cars (many cars on the road are smaller then the X5) and babies do??

Had I known this in advance, I would have really considered the X7 M50i.
Yeah unfortunately rear leg room in the x5 isn't that great, but we took the seat with us to the dealer before buying the car and felt comfortable enough with it. As VTENGR mentioned, though, I'm looking forward to when I can turn the baby seat around.

Also, I really hope this doesn't come across the wrong way. I swear I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that - In regards to the latch system, after reading about it a bunch, I found that in order for you to be able to use it from the middle seat, both the baby seat manual AND the car manual have to say it's okay to do.

In all likelihood it's probably safe, but my understanding is that unless it's specifically mentioned, it means that the seat was not tested for that situation. I was also concerned about the difference in safety when using the latch system vs. the seatbelt to hold the base down, but everything I've read indicates that there is effectively no difference, it's simply a matter of convenience.

EDIT: Oh and forgot to mention, congrats on the baby!
Appreciate 2
Russ103308.00
TXSchnee1316.50