View Single Post
      06-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #94
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
Pacificas have good handling characteristics too, 0.87g or better in some reviews and a Toyota Sienna SE handles well also but that's not the point. The point is the people concerned with packing in 3 rows of people and about hybrids/gas mileage probably are also not testing the limits of the handling or driving dynamics but choose a luxury SUV bc of a fear of how they are perceived by others if seen in a minivan. The vehicles dimensions and shapes are obviously changing to accommodate some of these buyers not just the enthusiasts.
You make a good point. I totally fit in that category. I have no interest in a minivan. My sister has a new Pacifica and she loves it. I've ridden in it and its a very nice vehicle, but I have no interest in a minivan. Honestly, I can't say if its because of image or simply I personally want better driving dynamics. Probably both. I don't want the 3rd row but I know some people do. If I needed a people hauler, a minivan might jump on my radar screen, who knows.

Interesting side note: In checking cars.com, there are about 16,000 new and used X5's for sale in the US right now. Of those, 639 are listed as having the third row seat, or about 1 in 25.
Appreciate 1