View Single Post
      02-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #101
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoMA View Post
Sure, at a given moment, it is "supply." But my issue with this simple moment-in-time analysis is it lets BMW off the hook because, oh, they "can't get enough supply." As someone who works in complex manufacturing, the issue is much more nuanced, even with the pandemic "supply" (and demand) issues. By this point, I'd also blame poor planning and product management for any lack of options on this LCI.
Working in that environment then you can appreciate the issues that can arise when you have a sole source for an option. BMW can do all of the planning, forecasting, begging, pleading etc. but if the supplier does not supply the item there is nothing BMW can do about it. They actually have been operating very well, some have argued the best of any automobile manufacturer, given the supply chain issues. The only way they could have tried to ensure all options being available for the LCI would have been to hold back product from existing production. That would not have been a smart financial move in my opinion. When working with limited supply you do your best to maximize the use/profit of those items.