View Single Post
      01-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #10
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post
I have style 741 21"s on my X5 Msport. It came with P-Zero summer run flats. I was quite pleased with the tire frankly. Put 17k on them over two years, great grip, cornering and stopping in dry conditions..hard as rock in temps below freezing and act like skis in snow but luckily the weather in VA has been mild the last 2 years. I have at least one more summer of tread on them but needed a more versatile tire this year.

I put the Verde non-run flat all seasons on. (they are the ONLY all season I cound find as you have found out). Expensive but quite happy with them so far. I have the spare tire option since I anticipated this problem.
Did you notice any difference in handling, noise and comfort between the P Zero summer run-flats and the Verde all-season non-run flats? From Pirelli’s own ratings, the Verde should handle slightly worse but have noticeably better comfort.

My previous vehicle (Cayenne GTS) had 275/35/R21 running on P-Zero summer non-run flats square. Amazing around corners and handling but also terribly bumpy and noisy. I think it’s more to do with the vehicle’s suspension tuning than the tires though. So I’m not sure what to make out of it with the X5 on air suspension.

I’m on R19 Hankook summer RFTs from the dealer and its a significant improvement in ride quality over the GTS. For the same reason, I’d be eager to get something which could maintain as much of this ride quality if I do change to R21. Certainly don’t want to go back to the ride quality of the GTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The X5 is fairly heavy, and if you plan to tow anything, you really want a wheel that is rated for the vehicle as well as the proper load rating for the tires as well. So, choose one that is listed as an OEM one for the X5.

Depending on the brand, you may find two that look identical, but what you need is one rated for XH weight, so it's not just the size that is important. I know for the winter tires I recently put on, the same model tire was available in two different weight classes, and the XH was more expensive, but required.

Not all RFT are created equal, either. Some ride and handle about the same as their 'normal' equivalent and they just keep getting better. The first ones were really stiff. Many vehicles today now come with RFT so it's not just BMW. It probably costs about the same for four RFT versus four regular ones plus a spare, jack, and wrench, but the combination ends up saving space in the vehicle and weight. Less weight saves fuel.
Thanks. I can’t seem to find the meaning of the “XH” classification though. You don’t happen to refer to the “XL” for heavier load classification? I don’t be towing so not an issue.

I’ve been trying to find an OEM tire list to no avail... the thread I quoted above seems to suggest the 3 (Conti and 2 Pirelli’s) are OEM. That said, I’m tempted to diverge from it by opting for non-run flats over run-flats for theoretically better ride quality and lower noise. It’s terribly hard to find any reasonable discussion on this online!
Appreciate 0