View Single Post
      06-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #42
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

This is exactly the amount of range and capability I am looking for in my next vehicle, I just want it to be in pickup truck form.

Electrification doesn't have to be all about range, nor should it be. Toyota has electrified more vehicles, and made a bigger impact, by focusing on hybridizing where it makes sense and not overstepping, and I see BMW's philosophy as a parallel path, just focused on the luxury buyer. A small for an EV, but still pretty big, battery can make daily life with a vehicle better and easier too, fewer gas stops, quieter, pre-cooling/heating, a "camp" power source with built-in gas generator, all become possible with an electrified utility vehicle with a big enough battery in daily use, and when you're towing or hauling over a long distance, you get the benefits of a gas motor that is as powerful, all by itself, as many 1/2-ton pickup truck engines. Big props for going back to a 6cyl on this one, I'm sure that was not an easy internal battle to fight.

What I don't want is a pure EV utility vehicle, whose range drops from 300 miles to ~120 miles towing my trailer at 65mph (this is about what a Model X manages, towing a much smaller trailer than mine), then unhitching every time I need to charge, and charging the very large battery for an hour or more to make it to the next charger. It would turn a tow to Road America from my house from a 7-8 hour tow with my Tundra, to a 12 hour+ tow. I tow an enclosed car hauler and the physics of a big sail pulling through teh air will never be great for a pure EV, but I would love the electrification because my daily driver in the winter is my pickup, and having a built-in generator and power source for running lighting and small electronics would be awesome. This is a great powertrain option for a utility vehicle. I need it in a truck bed with a longer wheelbase. Hope Toyota has something similar in the works for a Tundra prime or the like.

Last edited by Richbot; 06-12-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0