Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
There's a phenomenon on forums where someone will install something and be super excited about it, and thus exaggerate the outcome/benefits. Other posters see that response and start repeating it in other threads. Doesn't take long before the general consensus on a product is a bit warped. I see this with the Bavsound....it's a stage 1 upgrade, meaning it will be an improvement but not earth shattering. Bavsound themselves would probably tell you that.
I've seen this behavior since joining after a long absence from BMW forums.

If you believed the hype everyone should…

- PPF as much of their car as they can afford
- replace the stereo system
- install a down pipe
- replace the exhaust
- replace the charge pipe and other one
- replace the inter cooler
- and on and on

Then when someone has a problem with one of these mods like a down pipe you find out just how many folk didn't install one
It's a question of perspective. For some any improvement is a big deal. Plus, on this forum, I see many/majority people have fully loaded cars. In the real world most X5s I see are not even M Sport…

On this forum there are people asking, which version should they buy and they end up with the M50i. In the real world people have a budget and buy within that budget - not a $30K price difference. At least from people I know, it would be rare to find anyone who set out to buy a car for $70K and then ended up with one for $100K! That's just 30K lying around…

The concept of budget is different in the real world and in a forum….

My 2 cents worth…
I agree. IMHO in the end it's all a question of personal choice and preference, whatever floats your boat kind of thing.

I mean, even the M Sport package is a cosmetic package, which some may dig and some others may not - nothing wrong with that. Perhaps those in the latter camp prefer to spend their money in different "improvements" that make more of a difference to them. To each their own, I guess.

Clearly if we were talking about a true M, then it would be a completely different story but (to your point) it would come at a very different price point and with different characteristics: awesome performance but less comfort than other models.

And the same goes for several other items on the list: for some glass controls are a cool thing to have, for others upgrading a not-so-great base hi-fi system is the way to go and more desirable than glass controls. Some would not even consider any leather below Merino or have a kick out of paying extra for an individual color: that's awesome, because it makes their X5 special and it makes them happy and excited whenever they see it. Others may prefer to spend their money on PPF'ing their car and/or ceramic coating it: I think that's just as great if that's what makes them happy.

Just to use a specific example: personally I love nZtiZia's matte PPF wrap: I think that not only does it make his X5 really special, it also provides valuable protection as was the case when it saved his paint from a nasty scratch which would have cost him a pretty penny to fix. I see no hype there, but a choice that makes a lot of sense, at least to me.

Just my additional 2 cents
Appreciate 3
FCX52383.50
volodp198.00