View Single Post
      02-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
peter11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance 7yrs/100k $11 per month

I just called up Geico to get a quote for the new x5. While the quote seemed high, they did offer to add on their Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for only an extra $11 per month. The coverage is renewable for 7 years and 100K miles. The deductible is high, $250, the premium is great. It seems to cover everything except maintenance items. If you go in for multiple repairs the deductible is charged multiple times, even for a single repair visit. What I don't know is whether the premium becomes outrageously expensive once you get to year 5 when the manufacturers warranty expires.

Claims require that your dealer (or any licensed repair facility) communicate with Geico once the problem has been diagnosed. Once approved they will pay the repair facility directly, less the deductible.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Sounds way too cheap, especially for an x5. At $11 per month for 72 months that's only $792. Even if it doubles (rates always go up) its still a good deal. I guess the shortcoming is you have no way of knowing how much they might increase it and they certainly could justify increasing it due to claims experience either with your specific car or all BMW's.

Has anyone ever used this or know anything more about it? I believe the extended warranties on x5's are very expensive ($4k-$7k) depending on the options chosen.

Last edited by peter11; 02-13-2019 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0