View Single Post
      02-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #73
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Do folks buy a car because you enjoy it / it does what you want it to do / it drives like you want it to drive ... or do you buy it to show off / prove something?

There are different "levels" of M because they are designed for different uses. A "regular" M can make a great daily driver. Heck, I figure that actually having a usable trunk and back seat is a reason to get something like a M3 over a 911 in the first place. But if you are getting a car to mostly or only track, then getting a GTS where they have replaced the rear seats with a roll cage would make sense. Is your "regular" M3 any less fun to zip around in just because there exists a faster version? I would venture to say that at the end of the day, you'd enjoy it LESS because of all the things missing when they stripped it down for weight.

I just don't get why someone with a "regular" M would get their knickers in a bunch because there is a track version that would go faster. If you actually wanted a track car, buy a track car, but if you want a DD, then the only reason to worry that there is a faster one is because you didn't buy the car to enjoy, you bought it to show off / compensate. I mean heck, why not buy a GT4 race car and climb in and out of the window. It may be horribly impractical and uncomfortable, but at least you wouldn't have to feel like you were less of a man / have this ache in your heart that somewhere there existed a "more special" version of the type of car you drive.

It's equally ridiculous to me to whine that the next year's model has something better and you just HAVE to immediately buy the newer one. I was reading an article just the other day that noted that the M2C wasn't really much faster than the OG M2. Is there REALLY a situation where that .1 second quicker naught to 60 time is gonna make any difference in your life / enjoyment of your car? Are you even that good a driver that you could even tell the difference?

I see a LOT of people running around in various M cars that quite frankly can barely drive them. Saw one guy in a brand new M4 pull out of my work parking lot and, bless his heart, he could barely control it. Gods help us if he felt the need to get a even more special version.

Folks should buy a car because it gives them joy to drive, does what you need it to do and performs as well as you need it to. Buying a car to make yourself feel special just says to me that there is something wrong going on.
Appreciate 12
SakhirM410783.00
xQx902.50
GuidoK10473.00
Humdizzle6024.00
kozzi927.00
XMetal1096.50
omega2733133.50
hilld183.50
jmg18493.00