View Single Post
      02-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
flighttracker44
Rep
Drives: X3

45e charging limitation

I'm not that savvy on electrical stuff but I've understood that the 45e has really low capacity in terms of how fast you can charge.

Someone can probably educate me here but from my understanding the 45e has 3,7 Kw as max input from any source (wallbox, fast-charger). This would translate to approx. 6-7 hours from empty to full.

I don't understand the logic in this move from BMW, the are usually in the frontline of tech. The 45e has one of the most powerful batteries among the current generation of phev's. If there was a fairly fast way to charge that would really extend the electrical usability.

The 3,7 Kw constraint makes even less sense when I read that many other older phev's with smaller batteries have better charging capacity. Like the old Q7 hybrid if I'm not mistaken.

I watched the Harry Metcalfe review and he has pretty much the same comment. There's no real point in connecting the car to a charging station for an hour or two. Only people with overnight charging capacity will see the real benefit.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1697814

Question is if there is any change that this 3,7 Kw limitation is related to software? Ie, is it possible that capacity might be increased through a software update in the future?

If it's a hardware limitation, will it be possible to mod? Or is it likely that BMW will release a fast charge option/upgrade in the future?
Appreciate 0