02-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #18
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by flighttracker44 View Post
perikifi, understand there is no way around the 3,7 Kw max today, but the question is how this limitation is withheld? As you state, the battery and other parts seems to have the capacity to charge faster (if you charge with the engine). Is it then possible that BMW could lift this charge limit with a software update in the future? Or is it a change that will require a hardware change in the future?

Maybe someone with a good understanding on how these things work can explain how BMW is limiting the charging power to 3,7kw?
Keeping my fingers crossed but at the moment there is no indication that an increase in charging speed will happen. Only wishful thinking from existing 45e owners (like me).

I love my car but the slow charging speed is a real pain. 7.4kW should have been the absolute minimum. In my opinion it's a design flaw. I hate it that I'm blocking a charging spot at work for the whole (working) day.

Personally I would have paid extra for higher charging speed, a tad more powerful electrical engine or even a bigger battery pack.

I don't expect any of these upgrades on the X5 45e in the next 20 months / before the facelift.
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50