View Single Post
      10-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

PC Gamers: Join the boycott against Infinity Ward

If you're a console player and plan to buy Modern Warfare 2, do not let this concern you. There are valid reasons for the way matchmaking is done on the consoles, and this is not a "whose system is better" excercise.

Infinity Ward has decided to release a port of the game for the PC users, with no support for dedicated servers, the basis for the game's online community. Vote with your wallet. Show the developer that they can't make money on systems they don't put any effort into development for. I'm not angry at Infiniti Ward as a company, they are following a new and groundbreaking business model of trying to get DLC content paid for by the PC user base.

But by doing so they have completely erased the lines between what seperates console gaming from PC gaming. PC gaming is about building communities, a virtual retreat where you can settle as your "home server", and enjoy playing with a small or a large community, up to your preference. Console gaming is more about hopping on for an hour and inving a buddy, which also due to controller specifics is not meant for dedicated server selection. But this is what differenciates the platforms, and we need more diversity in gaming, not less.

Again, if you don't care about these issues, just buy a console version. If you buy the PC version you are letting developers and publishers know that being treated as an afterthought demographic is ok in this market, and this is exactly what will happen in the future.

Don't take this as a nerd rage, I plan on purchasing the console version, or possibly pirating the game for single player. I'm simply being pragmatic about where this industry is going, and it's not a good place for anyone who still enjoys the sense of community and keyboard/mouse controls in games.