Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Tech doesn't like it because he doesn't think you can get consistent torque.

I don't like them because one got embedded in my factory wheel from the factory and couldn't be removed by me. We don't have a root cause how or why it got embedded, but it's an indication of an underlying design problem. And if I have had to change a wheel on the road and that had happened, I would have been stranded as a spare wouldn't have had enough bolts.

It was also definitely a bad engineering approach from the point of view of consistent torque to ship with 4 sleeved bolts and 1 non-sleeved security bolt — there is just no way possible to get consistent torque with that variance.

And frankly, there was no need for a change — focus on things which are issues, wheel bolts are not.

Gotcha. Torque is always a risk especially at the dealers. I don't think any of these techs know what a torque wrench is. They just want to rip'em down with an impact gun. One of the first things I do when I get home from a service where I know they removed the wheels is check them for scratches/damage and undo the bolts and torque them to spec. This is something so basic and I should not have to do. However, it makes me feel better knowing that the bolts are torqued to spec.

Appreciate 0