View Single Post
      12-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #12
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

FWIW, I just replaced my Linksys WRT54G with an Airport Extreme with 802.11n and couldn't be happier. There is a noticable (at least 2x) increase in download speed. Additionally, the airport extreme has a nice feature that basically allows me to turn my FreeAgent Go USB drive into a (sort of) NAS device (it supports AFP and SMB). Initial configuration was very easy from my Macbook and was done via wireless connection, you WRT54G owners will appreciate that I'm sure as IIRC, the initial configuration on the WRT54G was done via cable. Setting up static DHCP leases via MAC address and port forwarding were also very easy.

One a side note, I do miss having a true firewall capable of actually accepting and NATing traffic on a given port range for an entire subnet (as opposed to being forced to do port forwarding to a particular host). The Airport Extreme doesn't appear to be any better than the WRT54G in this respect.

Oh, just for reference, I'm a Unix freak, not a Apple fanboy per se. The router was a gift.
Appreciate 0