View Single Post
      11-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #30
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
The car is substantially technology driven - even to critical operational functions. OTA is a wonderful idea, not yet fully born according to my CA - and actually BMW as well. What would be nice is if every dealer was tasked by BMW (I realize they are more or less independent - just wishing) to update software as required and requested by any customer, no questions asked, whenever they ask. Some dealerships apparently aren't even aware of updates, or of what is current. I counted approximately four updates since mine was delivered a couple of months ago. I queried my dealer and they said they'd get around to it at my next service. I don't really know what the latest update(s) fix, or don't, but just like my phone or computer, I'd like to be current, and I don't even drive those. As long as we're wishing.
The problem is it seems to take an entire day for them to do the updates. They either need to figure out OTA or, to your point, offer updates no questions asked. I agree with having the newest version, as with my other devices, new updates seem to fix bugs and vulnerabilities. BMW should try and fix and validate their software before rolling it out. If they bigger updates had to be done at the dealer until it’s all up and running, cool. But 2-3 updates per quarter is ridiculous. Without release notes, I assume I need to have the latest version. If they push out some communication and let us know it’s only addressing a small fix (one I may not even need), then I’ll be on my merry way. But, with Apple, these updates are clearly communicated. BMW needs to figure out the software thing. At this point, I would not even consider the phone as a key concept, because my luck...the key would get wiped while I was 300 miles from home. The fact everything has to communicate with a server before “allowing” me to use it is crazy...ie CarPlay.
Appreciate 0