View Single Post
      11-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #41
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Apple works the same way. I just happened to have an update waiting for me so I did a few screen shots. I never use auto updates on anything and therefore sit at my Mac and observe the process. Apple pretty much has their updating process down pat but I like to know and understand what is going on, so I watch it I've owned several Apple products for more than a decade so am familiar with Apples update process.

If an issue interrupts the download from Apple's servers, and I have seen this happen a few times, the protocol is smart enough to know it and will restart the download or take up where it left off and finish it upon the next available moment, which could be a millisecond or a minute or.. .

I have also seen where even after the verification step, it failed and must re-download the file. This works the same whether your device is being updated via WiFi or Ethernet. However, only after the updated file has been downloaded and verified to be good, the installation begins.

You’re watching it move on the progress bar? Really? Can you both do some research into Catalina, please? Have you tried to tried updating when something was released? I’m starting to think you guys are taking my hypothetical scenario to heart. I guess I should speak in only literal terms?

Downloads fail, installs fail, software fails. It happens to the biggest of tech companies. They’re on it of course, since it is what they do. Do you think if BMW ran into this problem it would be on top of it? You have people without remote 3D, people on March software, people with no CarPlay, people with all sorts of software problems. It comes back to one thing. Everything BMW offers you as “tech” is behind a stingy paywall. Look at your portal. Everything expires...you know why? They are going to charge ya for it.

Some of us don’t lease, so we would like to actually get what we paid for. Good on you for turning it in every three years. BMW is going to blame Apple for CarPlay, and the dealership will tell you it’s iOS. Nope, it’s the cheapskates making sure every time you turn that car on, you paid your entrance fee and can use CarPlay. It’s really not difficult.

Again, for you two attacking me. There’s really not reason, but if you get your validation in life by being a forum tough guy...do some research. TECH IS NOT PERFECT!
Appreciate 0