06-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #19
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I don't know if it happens in DTM but certainly in the BTCC which I am a great fan of. F1 like other series isn't too 'posh' to adapt to this refreshing reverse grid idea and it would be a bonus to have more double race weekends with it implemented.
I would think more viewers would then watch F1 and I disagree that it would devalue the sport in...what way?
Time to move on and have new ideas instead of the same boring routine.
I see your point, but I'd like to counter with an argument. I get that Liberty is a media company and they need more viewers to make more money. But if they keep on trying to introduce new things for the sake of getting more people interested, then we slowly start moving away from F1's traditional values.

If these types of ideas are meant to introduce new fans to the sport, then I would argue that these people aren't watching F1 for the sport that it really is and more so for the gimmicks that make it more "exciting". I think that most of us here can appreciate the sport for what it is despite some of the boring races. If we attract new fans through the use of gimmicks, then we arent attracting them for the right reason and they will stop watching once they get bored of what brought them in. NASCAR has found itself in this exact situation. They implemented a convoluted playoff scoring system to spice up the show towards the end of the year. It helped initially, but they have been losing viewership ever since.

Edit: Just to clarify, I think the reverse grid races would devalue this years championship and not necessarily the sport as a whole. I think the record books would forever have an asterisk next to this years champions, just as they do with the year double points were awarded at the season finale.

Last edited by apexit4; 06-03-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59507.00