View Single Post
      07-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #14
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Thanks for the very detailed and clear write-up!
Just a small word of warning for people thinking of replacing a scheduled service with a diy oil change (I realise this is not what you did here, just sharing a personal experience):
About 4 years ago I purchased a golf GTI, 2 years old with 3000 miles on the clock, which had been a demo car of a VW garage. I clearly negotiated with them to do the first service despite the low mileage before taking delivery of the car, however after owning the car for a few weeks I noticed there was no service stamp in the maintenance booklet.
Stupidly, as the garage was 3 hours drive from my place, I decided to just change the oil myself and call it a day, as the 2 year factory warranty had run out anyway and the 6 month warrantly I got with the purchase was with that same garage anyway.
A few weeks ago, 4 years later, the timing chain failed on that engine with 20.000 miles on the clock. Normally, VW would have paid for 70% of the cost as a timing chain is not supposed to fail at such a low mileage, however due to the missing stamp in the service booklet, I now have to cough up the full 10.000€ myself.
I imagine BMW would have a similar policy...
Appreciate 3
FiatLux11.50
mvigod181.50