View Single Post
      07-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
I haven’t tried this kit but did see it. If you have the M Sport brakes I wouldn’t get it though. The wheel is 18”, which won’t fit around the brakes. The solution they sell is a massive spacer that pushes the spare wheel far enough out that it won’t touch the brakes. This will require really long bolts, and will mean that the contact patch of the wheel is really far away from the wheel hub. As a casual student of physics this worries me, because it increases the chances of failure - and I fear that it could allow the joint where the hub connects to the drive axel to bend beyond spec. I may be paranoid, but I don’t get a good feeling from it.

If you do get this kit for a car with the m sport brakes, I would recommend using it only as last resort, and only at very low speed to get you directly to the nearest garage or tire shop.

Just my 2 cents.

That standard compact spare fits over the MSport brakes with no problem. The spare mentioned in the "kit" appears to be the same so there would be no problem with MSport brakes.

Edit: For clarity, I'm referring to the spare in the kit that matthewk put together not the third party one mentioned.

Edit 2: The wheel in his package is not correct, it should be 36-11-6-880-744

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 07-04-2020 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
GlennC321.00