View Single Post
      07-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Lightbulb Hardwiring your radar detector for top windshield mount

Wanted to hardwire my detector at the top of the windshield. Did some searching and got alot of good info, but there is nearly as much bad info out there.
The main issue is releasing the clips that hold the upper console to the headliner. Most have struggled with these because they are damn near impossible to figure out! In fact, I bet BMW dropped the sunroof closing handle from the "tool kit" because about 1 person in 100 would be able to release these clips without breaking something! (especially as rain is pouring in through your open sunroof)
My tips are as follows:
There are 3 layers to this console: a metal surround (part of the headliner), chrome plated plastic (the base of the console) and the clear plastic lens. You pry the edge in front of the spot lights in a barely noticable slot between the metal surround and chrome plated plastic. The clips are only in about 1/8" from this edge and the total movement required of your screwdriver is about 1/4". Also, try to resist removing the clear plastic lens - it really doesn't help and it's a bitch to get back on properly!
The design flaw is the clips are too short, meaning you have to slide the screwdriver in and immediately up to try to catch the edge of the clip and push it inwards. When you do manage to release the tab the console will drop easily. No plastic part-breaking pulling is required at all!
The other problem is the poor grounds. Someone correctly identified switched power (green wire w/ white stripe) but there are no easy to use grounds up there (I ended up tapping into the heavy brown wire which grounds the console).
Anyway - hope this helps somebody!
Appreciate 0