Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustX5 View Post
yes my first flat tire! rear right was flat. I drove about 20 miles back home on it. Took to dealer and they said it needs to be replaced. That's not it. because X5 is all wheel drive, you have to replace all four tires. The tread on my car is about 4-5 mm in front and 3-4 mm in rears. BMW recommend replacing tires at 3 mm tread is what I was told. This is my first experience with all wheel drive and run flat tires. My X5 is only a year old but 29000 miles (we've traveled places I somehow settled for replacing just the two rear tires for total cost 752$ with installation. I hope I did not get screwed (my tire is screwed for sure)
The unmatched wear issue is not an RF issue but an AWD issue. The basic problem is if tires have unmatched inflation or unmatched wear, the AWD differentials will be active continuously (100% duty cycle) which wears them much faster than design spec of some small duty cycle. Next level of precision in understanding and evaluating this requires full and detailed understanding of the specific AWD system on the car, I haven't gone through that exercise on the G05 xDrive, so can't talk about it intelligently yet.

Considering the cost, it may be more effective to replace the one tire and to shave it down to the wear of the other 3. While it sounds weird and wasteful, it's a complex predictive cost calculation to decide whether to replace all 4 or shave the one, but it is done. Tire Rack will do it for free, I believe, for example.