03-10-2017, 05:55 AM   #45
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Panerai is the older company but Rolex is definitely more well known to non-afficianados.

I'd say it's more like Rolex is better at marketing their history. Panerai is around 40 years older as a company.

Rolex is also way more into sponsorships of things like motorsports, horse racing, yacht racing, etc. Again, they have some strong marketers who have been able to keep the Rolex name in the limelight at glamorous events.
It might be 40 years older but not at making watches.
In fact, all Panerai movements were provided by Rolex when Panerai got commissioned by the Italian Navy to make a dive watch. They made diving tools, so they made a case, Rolex gave them the "watch" side of things.

Even after Rolex stopped providing movements, Panerai still had no clue so it went to ETA for movements. It isn't until modern history that Panerai has gotten seriously into the watch game and definitely after Silvester Stallone saved them from extinction.

Rolex is way way more prestigious in the Swiss watch industry than Panerai. Even Thierry Stern chairman of Patek, said, I wish Rolex would let me see the inside of their production and development side, for a company that nakes close to a million watches annually, they are unparelled in quality and prestige.

I like Panerai but when it comes to out right watch history and heritage, Rolex is light years ahead.
Resale on just about every single "boring" Rolex is high except for precious metals and woman's models. The Datejust depreciates a bit but compared to the new car dive a Panerai takes, it's no comparison....with the exception of a few models like the 398, 372, 1950....and purposely limited editions.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8714.50