View Single Post
      03-19-2021, 04:08 AM   #30
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
I have the charging pad on the left side (no cup heater/cooler where it sits in the middle).

A few problems with the wireless setup for me :
1. Have to unlock the phone at times to connect. Once it’s on the wireless charger, I have to pull it out and unlock and then drop it back in.

2. Wireless charging with the processing needs of some mapping apps (especially Waze) heats the phone up and it shuts down until it cools off. Super annoying. I know that’s not BMW’s fault but it’s a real problem I’ve been dealing with. The phone shuts down for about 10 mins while I’m using the GPS - no bueno.

3. Every so often at a red light (not driving!) I may want to see my notifications that don’t show on CarPlay. Can’t do that quickly using the wireless charging pad due to how hard it is to get the phone out, especially with drinks in the drink holder.

4. The afterthought of just turning the same charging pad sideways may have made sense to BMW from a cost perspective but it’s a fail from a user experience point of view. It is very difficult to see if my phone is charging on the changing pad because they turned it so the blue charging light is practically unavailable in the drivers line of sight. I have to lean over to almost the passenger’s side of the car to verify that the blue light is on/phone is charging. It’s not safe when driving and inconvenient when stopped.

So the implementation is ok but not great in my opinion. Your mileage may certainly vary but the wireless charging just doesn’t work for me the way it’s set up in the X5 so have to go old school.

Cheers!

I've never had to unlock to connect etc - just seems to connect as soon as I get in the car regardless. However, I do echo everything else you mentioned. Placement isnt ideal. You can't easily tell if its charging, and so on.
Generally I only ever use it if I really need to, otherwise I slip the phone into one of the cupholders as its so much easier! lol
I have my display key in a silicon case and I tend to put that on the wireless charger instead most of the time just to keep it topped up. But again, the light isnt at the best position, as you mentioned - why they didnt place it on the bottom side so its in clear view I dont know!!
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50