04-02-2024, 04:04 PM   #174
Mishoo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishoo View Post
Update**
I got a check engine light on my dash this week and will be going to the dealership to get them to look at it. I hope this one is a simple issue to fix. Fingers crossed....
When I got a CEL last week, I put a call through to the Dealership and was told to bring the car in anytime in the week, and I was planning to go on Thurs or Sat. I couldn't read the CEL, so I wasn't sure what it was about. The good thing was that it didn't stop me from driving the 50e nor did it give me an alarm that suggested any malfunction.

On Weds night, I got a notification for an update and promptly started the process. The update was fast on the phone App (Android MyBMW) as it took about 1-2hrs, but it took a long while for the update to be done in the car as it stopped at 65% on Weds and continued on Thurs to 88%. I decided not to take the SAV to the Dealership till the update is done, and since Fri is a Statutory Holiday, I was looking at Sat to get to Dealership.

Fortunately, the update was done while we were driving around on Friday morning but the CEL was still present. It went off for a while and came back. I drove around a bit with many stop/go situation, and I noticed it wasn't showing up again. I was busy throughout Saturday, and I did little driving but it never came up again on Sat. I cancelled my visit to Dealership as I've read on the forum that updates do correct some system errors. I guess I just didn't want them to poke their fingers into my otherwise unproblematic machine.

Everything was good on Sun morning and afternoon and I took a trip outside the city limits to a friend's acreage. The road was a bit free so I was speeding up to 130Km/hr when a chiming sound alerted me to the error on my screen. "Oil level above Maximum". It also said I can drive it but I shouldn't speed around a bend. What?? I slowed down to 100km/hr and managed to take get it home safely. It was the first message that comes up whenever I started the car, so no running away from this one.

Early yesterday, I called the Dealership that I was coming in and they fixed afternoon appointment for me. I took the car for a few groceries shopping at Costco and dropped some stuff with a friend on the way to the dealership. I also filled up my tank for the first time since I got the car since Sept 2023 ( I have been driving about 4000km mostly on electric/Hybrid Pro), and by the time I got to the dealership in the afternoon, the error has disappeared. The front desk guys collected my key FOB and scanned it. They saw the oil error but they couldn't locate the earlier one.

The guy at the desk told me the technicians are mostly done for the day (10mins left) and they may look at my car the next day, but he suggested he could reduce the oil level himself if I don't mind. I told him I would prefer the technicians do a thorough job and I don't mind coming another time. I drove my SAV home and planning to visit them again this week.

NB: Sorry for the long post
Attached Images

Last edited by Mishoo; 04-02-2024 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Would like to attach a file
Appreciate 0