View Single Post
      01-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The estimated range on any vehicle, whether ICE or EV or PHEV is based on an algorithm the exact input parameters are often a company secret. How far you can drive with an energy fillup will vary considerably based on how you're driving. While cold affects an ICE, it affects an EV or PHEV more, since in most cases, there's no waste, excess heat from an engine to warm the cabin, keep the external mirrors clean, or the windows. An EV isn't as affected by how fast your accelerate, but like most vehicles, is depending on how smoothly you drive, and how consistent your speed is. Constantly varying, while worse on an ICE, gets some benefit from regenerative braking in an EV or PHEV.

I have a US model X5, and I have seen range estimates of over 40-miles. It seems to average more in the upper 30-mile range with how I use my vehicle. If you never see more than 30-miles, while there's nothing wrong with that, it implies you are driving it very similar to the EPA test procedure, which is their estimate for the vehicle. Those in most of the rest of the world are allowed to use more of the battery. BMWUSA chose to limit the maximum volume, maybe to help ensure the battery would live beyond the warranty period, which is shorter in some other markets.
Appreciate 0