02-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #68
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
All - quick update. A good friend of mine purchased a 2020 G05 and also purchased a nearly identical Thule system to the one that I warned about earlier in this thread. His - no whistle. What changed?

Thule discontinued the Aerobar and now sell what's called "Evo WingBar" (looks like it was released in early 2019). These are nearly identical to the Aerobar - but have a more planar leading edge with a series of flat planes vs a rounded/bull nose. A few other nuances to the shape seemed to have resolved the loud whistling I experienced on my Aerobars.
I have two different sets of aero bars, one through bars and one flush. The flush ones whistle, the through bars don't. Not saying it has anything to do with the difference between the two. But any small change or gap in the rubber on top, some say the placement front to back, etc can change things. For sure not all of the aerobars whistle.

I will say my previous set before those two was quieter, Whispbars (since bought by Yakima, believe that is what their Aero crossbars are from the looks of them).
Appreciate 0