06-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
No. It is pearl white. It has a three paint coat process. It can be a bugger to match stone chips. My last SUV was ivory tri coat and it is almost exactly like BMW’s mineral white. It’s a very rich white but can look dirty to some. Artic white is mega crisp white bright. It also has its issue with matching stone chips. Metallic paint is the easiest to hide chips and touch ups.

Every color has its compromises and strengths. Dark colors reflect more but can be harder to maintain. Light colors only show dark dirt like road tar but don’t reflect as much. There is no free lunch with any color. I am somewhat of a expert in auto detailing and concourse competition. When I give a class on detailing for my PCA chapter I always get asked what is the best color. My answers is that paint colors boil down to honesty of representation. Dark/black colors are more “honest” in showing their true condition and can be easier to identify what needs done. Light colors tend to be more of a pathological liar as to what is really going on with the paint surface.
Yes that's essentially why I'm considering white color - with black it's very hard to maintain and it shows all scratches and chips. And I don't like plain AW, I'm actually ok with it being a bit "grayish" and change under different lighting conditions. I just saw a picture with white having cream / pink tint in it and was concerned that MW may be more of a "girlish" color, that's why I'm asking.

Last edited by AustinV; 06-09-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0