GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarden13 View Post
Recently I had my car ceramic coated with Feynlab Ultra. Honestly it doesn’t look much different then when I picked up the car from the dealer.

How can you tell if a car is ceramic coated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
For it to look good, you need to have a good looking paint to begin with. If your paint is not in great shape, that is what you will see after coating. Coating is mainly to preserve the condition of your paint and gives you some glassy look. Professional installer usually prep (paint correction) first before applying the coating. Imo, installers make a huge difference in the outcome. I usually try to stop by when the car is still inside. If done right, you can really see the improvement right after it's done and waiting for curing. After first wash, it will look even better. If you didn't get to see it, I would wait to see how it looks after first wash. Maybe that's all you need.
Yup, and, as others mentioned, water beading. Spray some water on the hood: if it beads, it's coated, if it sheets, it's not.

But further, you didn't mention the age or condition of the car/paint.

If it's not new (and for many, even when new) the paint needs correction first to:

(1.) Ensure the coating adheres & lasts
(2.) Ensure the paint has max luster BEFORE it's coated

If your detailer didn't do any paint correction and/or your vehicle wasn't new (like days old max), then even if water beads, it probably won't look much different; i.e., the detailer simply coated over what was there, rather than correcting what was there and THEN coating it.

My 2 cents is, for most people willing to do a little elbow work every few weeks, ceramic isn't close to worth it, and it actually complicates things (since it's a semi-permanent coating - you lose options; you can get = or better look for $100 with a little work every month) ...

If, on the other hand, you just want it max shiny for min labor on your part - and cost isn't a factor - then ceramic can be a good idea.
Appreciate 1
Llarry15905.50