View Single Post
      12-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #149
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I can live with mostly everything BMW is doing these days except the terrible headlight designs lately. First, it's the VW Golf headlights on the 5er LCI, and now we have two eyebrows on this thing. The tail lights look amazing and futuristic, and are fitting for a BEV, but the head lights are crap. Nothing BMW about them.

Saw the blue laser lights on a X7 yesterday, and they looked incredible compared to this nonsense.

It seems they insist on ruining every new car with that one design element that just doesn't jive. With the new 3er and X4, it's uninspiring and overly simplistic tail lights. With the Z4 and new 4er, it's the stupid honeycomb grille inserts.

Some days I feel like I can look past all these things and appreciate the entire package that BMW brings, and other days I can't help but be critical of the glaringly obvious mistakes they are making.

I like the new and bold design attempts lately, but they really need to do a better job of making sure these cars still scream, "I'm a BMW," when it comes to the basic trademark components like head lights, tail lights, grilles, etc. I'm not saying they should bring back the cookie-cutter design language across the entire model range, but they are really taking it too far and shooting themselves in the foot with every other new model they have been releasing. Instead of "polarizing" design, how about just "excellent" design from now on? Wouldn't that sell more cars if instead of only 50% of people liking them, 90% or better end up liking them?