01-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #16
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesoloJames1973 View Post
Hi All,
First time post and apologies for asking my questions on an existing thread but the members that charge using standard 3 pin UK plug may be able to assist.
I'm just deciding if to get a EV charging point or just to use the standard 3 pin. I will usually charge overnight and have charging facilities during the day at work so I'm not sure the extra expense is worth it.
The standard 3 pin charger that comes with BMW X5 45e is it waterproof and what is the official IP rating? Do members leave it out in all weather?
Will the plug fit in a standard outdoor weatherproof socket? Sometimes the lead is oversized and won't fit a standard socket.
Thanks for your help.
Hi

I charge mine overnight only using the 3 pin. Leave it out with the plug socket covered. Left it out in rain and now snow and no problems.

No need to invest in an expensive wall charger as the difference in charging speed in terms of time saved is about four or five hours. Overnight this makes no difference.

Just need to make sure your plug point can cope of setting to 10amps charge. This can lead to overload and heating of the wiring.

Solving that solution is still cheaper than the wall charger. Cost me £190 to get a dedicated heavy duty wiring and wall socket fitted that can cope with 10amps for eleven hour charge.

Hope that helps 👍🏽
Appreciate 0