GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrussell1992 View Post
After living with both, how do you feel about the m lineage in the SUVs? I have a 2020 M4 Comp and felt the driving dynamics of the f95 x5m to be extremely compromised vs the sharpness I get out of the f82. I needed an SUV for the mountains and hauling more gear and was disappointed.
I'm assuming you're sport driving the car through the mountains (the Skylines, Santa Cruz / Diablo mountains, etc) more than track driving?

I say that because I think the first thing you have to differentiate is sharpness in canyon runs versus track driving - a lot of people equate the two, or use the track as the ultimate measure of a car's "sharpness" but, TBH, I haven't been at a track in 10+ years, but 80% of the miles my last 3 M3/4s have all been driven in anger. If you show up for La Honda runs, you know what I"m talking about.

For me, canyon runs are infinitely more rewarding than the track for a lot of reasons not relevant here, but for me the key is differentiating "sharpness" between track-feel and road-course-feel.

On the track, the X5M can be amazing:

So that's great for people taking their SUVs to the track but, to be controversial, the X5M ain't a sharp road-run SUV compared to the competition. Yes, on the track, it's the equal or better than just about anything out there, but on the road, if you're looking for sharpness, then IMO a high-spec Cayenne is probably the way to go. Hate to say it, but Porsche is just way WAY better at suspensions & suspension tuning than BMW not to mention the PDK.

I see the X5M as a way different animal - it's more of a sharper road SUV that leans way more M4 than X7 on the road. Yes you can light it up, but it's more about driving a comfort SUV that's able to do some very crazy things if you need it to, and, in the mountains, you usually want or need you to ... in short, it's the perfect car for your use case if you want an SUV. You just can't add 1000lbs and jack a car up on stilts and have it be an M4.

If you had said "sharp daily driver" then a high-spec Cayenne is probably the thing.

If the goal is mountain bomber or track rat, then the X5M is probably better.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-19-2021 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 2