05-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #85
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm going to share this since it's relevant; but not BMW related.

When in college, I worked as a mechanic at a local garage, and it also happened to be a gas station. One day a new guy showed up, mid 30s, Middle Eastern, whom they hired to pump gas, and he worked there for about a year.

We became friendly (I was maybe 20 at the time, and grew up in suburban NJ), and so finally one day I asked him how he got here - he was intelligent, always fresh for work despite the fact that he's be around fuel for 9 hours, drove a new Accord..why pump gas?

He was from Pakistan, the son of a rich family, who lived in a mansion. One day, his family came home to them being robbed. They tied up him and his sisters and mother, killed his father and looted the house. When the cops came, they finished taking what the criminals left. Fearing for their lives, they came here to start fresh. Imagine going from being rich, living in a mansion, to starting out all over in a brand new place. That sounds fantastic, but it's a true story.

Opened my eyes, a kid who's only real concern was how big a turbo I could fit underneath the hood of my Z.