11-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #56
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
You can update your FA for certain features, such as anti-dazzle and auto lane change assistant, and these will persist post i-step upgrade, but all other coding will be wiped.

With a main branch update, whether OTA or at the dealer, then the majority of ECU are programmed and recoded, so OTA is all you need.

Technically the car isn't coded back to factory - it's coded against your FA (Vehicle Order), which includes your model, country, options, build date, etc. The resultant coding will never resemble the factory configuration. 'Code default' is closer to a factory restore - never do that.

Don't use old cafd to restore coding after a major i-step upgrade - the cafd can be entirely different e.g. VIP changed entirely after i-step update 11/2019, and SAS2 changes to SAS3 with i-step 07/2020. There are other incremental changes with i-step updates for other ECUs too.

I do recommend restoring ncd in other scenarios though, where an upgrade hasn't been performed. Saves loads of time.

Traffic Light Assist won't be enabled on your car by default, unless BMW completely changes the coding (unlikely). Currently, TLA will only be activated on cars with a build date of 11/2020 and newer.
Thanks for that clarification ifr. My novice level is still shining through. Should the SAS ecu be visible in 11/2019 or was this an updated split of ecus in later istep? I couldn't see it in the older istep version even with the car running. I'm thinking about doing a fresh esys install before messing with 7/2020 this weekend in case it's an issue with my software. Already miss my PDC with braking and some of the other traffic features. Sadly I didn't get into coding prior to this purchase and my G05 is not equipped with all the sensor options. I won't make that mistake again.
Appreciate 0