04-19-2021, 03:56 AM   #77
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
Understood and this sounds like a sensitive rationale.

Two last comments though:

1- I'm impressed by the number of continuously evolving / changing factors these computers actually process and take into account to work 'as designed' and surprised it can actually do *all* of that seamlessly (most of the time) in the countries where it works (well)

2- if for DAP systems to work, location, geolock and type of road is required (in addition to speed limit data for (a)SLA), why is 'normal DAP' working for me without any of that ? I mean, from stock and without maps data and KAFAS not capturing all road signs, the car is able to :

- Driving assistance by autonomously following road markings on normal roads and highways, handles sharp turns while keeping distance with other vehicles, including full stop and restart
- Steering and Lane Control assistant
- Lane Keeping Assistant
- Steering and Lane Control Assistant

I would have thought that since KAFAS and mapping data is so critical for a proper use of DAP *advanced* features, the Driving Assistant Pro would not work either.

Lane departure alerts etc is much simpler and works just fine too.
That's because it doesn't use mapping data for real-time assistance systems. It's not reactive enough, nor dependable.

Even mapping data and SLA, is really dangerous when the mapping provider gets it wrong. For example, there are certain roads where the speed limit is 30mph, and NAV data says its 100mph! With aSLA the car starts adjusting to that speed before I intervene! Stupid!

For assist systems like SWA, DCC, LDW, it uses the camera and radar, ultrasonic sensors. These have to be exact at any point in-time for obvious reasons, so dont have the same dependency. The KAFAS looks at the road markings, grass verge, kerb, etc and the SWA responds. No need for NAV for that, nor would you want it to depend on it.

LCA, eTJA etc, need nav data and dont need it immediately. Similarly if the data is wrong, it's not the end of the world, you just don't get the feature activated.
aSLA is the exception of course - that is just plain dangerous!
Appreciate 2