10-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #19
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
My first car was a 90' 5spd 6cyl Jeep Wrangler when I was 16. It didn't have much HP but had a ton of TQ. My 2nd car was a 02' Celica GT-S which tcompletely disproves your theory of cars under 200hp/200tq will keep kids out of trouble and can't go too fast. I feel I'm an above average driver(doesn't everyone) but I have the time to prove it.

My family business is all about driving. We put about 30K miles a year on cars, so I had more than enough time behind the wheel when I had my temps let alone my license. I would put money on the fact that I prolly drove more my first year of driving(1/2 temps, 1/2 license) then some of you combined between your driving from 16-18y/o.

I could get in any car and drive it no questions asked. My jeep did everything I wanted it to. I could even offroad it and do better than some friends lifted jeeps because I knew where to put my car.

That being said with enough patting my own back, you should gauge your car choice on the experience of your child. If you can sit them in a manual and they can learn it within a half hour then they can have a manual car. Take them to a snowy parking lot and let them have at it. I pretty much learned how to master traction and placement in one long night of getting yelled at by my dad.

Kids are also going to speed no matter what you do, so better yet, teach them how to "properly speed". Watching what the cars are doing not just immediately in front of you, but several cars ahead as well. Learn how to break down traffic without being the maniac cutting through traffic. Learn how to visually scan for police not just trusting some junk hanging in your windshield. I could go on all day long obviously.

My personal opinion... EVERYONE needs to be manditory tested on their driving skills every 5 or so years. Or have to take driving schools every couple years. This in turn will make everyone a better driver, speed limits could be raised, and the state/government can bring in some more money from the fees associated with the tests. If you fail a test the next test if more expensive, longer, and you can't drive until you pass it. Then maybe just maybe the highways won't be chalk full of stupid fucks who can't drive. This is me in a car 10 hrs a day talking.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0