01-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post
Few questions that i'm hoping here, you knowledgable folk may answer, that BMW Genius' were not able to..

1 - When using purely electric.. does the regen braking/kinetic transfer get put back into the battery or is it wasted? I dont expect it to recharge, but if it reduces consumption of the charge, i'm happy.

2 - When idle on Electric, is there much consumption? On taking one of our children to school each day, I have to sit and wait for about 30 mins. Currently I leave the engine running with the radio on, air con generally at 19/20.

3 - Charging. When fully charged, does it just simply stop charging? What I dont want is to have a full charge at say 4am.. and for it to keep somehow utilising energy until I unplug it at 6.30ish.

More so UK folks-

4 - Does anyone have any experience with the chargemasters? Pros/Cons?
5 - Does anyone make use of charging bays and have a subscription to a charging service? There are plenty of charging providers out there.. but is there a 'main' provider? Etc.

Thank you!

And thank you to everyone who has posted in topics/threads previously.. this forum has been a massive help with my research :-)
Congratulations on your new car.

1 - yes regen is always on in every mode. Not only during braking, also when releasing the throttle or when going downhill.

2- Not tested it when sitting in car for 30min. Put preheating the car does have an impact on your electrical range.

3- Yes it just stops. No problem at home. I plug mine in in the evening and unplug it in the morning. However be careful with public chargers. Some public charging companies also let you pay for the amount of time you 'occupy' the charging spot. Even if your car has stopped charging you will still be billed for every minute your car is 'parked'.

Not UK
4 - Don't spend money on special features. Just a charger and a kW meter is all you need. All those extra apps, website, services you will rarely use them.
Mennekes is a very popular and solid brand of charging equipement.

5 - Do you really need this with a hybrid car? If you run out of battery you just continue on petrol. + The X5 45e charges very slowly. I never bother to charge it on stops less than 3 hours.

The situation is the same here in Belgium. Plenty of providers and none of them really sticks out.
Appreciate 0