View Single Post
      02-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

1 - When using purely electric.. does the regen braking/kinetic transfer get put back into the battery or is it wasted? I dont expect it to recharge, but if it reduces consumption of the charge, i'm happy.

I've mentioned in other forums, but the regen works really well I find. As an example, I drove from Aylesbury to Bristol last week (110 miles) started with 44 mile of electric range and ended up doing 60 miles of the journey on electric with an empty battery at the end. I read elsewhere that when you start to use the brake pedal gently, it doesn't engage the brakes, just ups the level of regen, only using the brakes if you start to press harder.

3 - Charging. When fully charged, does it just simply stop charging? What I dont want is to have a full charge at say 4am.. and for it to keep somehow utilising energy until I unplug it at 6.30ish.

Use the departure settings in either the car or the app. If you set the departure time to be 0630, then not only will the car make sure the flow of energy into the battery is managed so that you are full at that time (it won't just go until 0400 in your example), but it will also make sure the batteries and the cabin are warmed enough, so that all that battery goodness goes into forward motion when you leave.

More so UK folks-

5 - Does anyone make use of charging bays and have a subscription to a charging service? There are plenty of charging providers out there.. but is there a 'main' provider? Etc.

I do have a PolarPlus subscription and that is linked across to GeniePoint, Revive and ChargeMaster. However, I also have an i3s, so that is what they are most used for. The charging speed on the X5 is so slow, that it is only really useful for charging at home or at work.
Appreciate 0