06-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Why would anyone say to let him in the HOF??! He denied he bet on baseball after the Dowd report in '89. Then in 2004, he "kinda" admits he did, but only as a manager. He vehemently denied betting as a player for 26 years. Now, the evidence finally shows that he bet on his own team while playing. He's a piece of shit and did something that can never be condoned. How does anyone know that he tried to do things to alter the games he played in? If I were a former teammate, I would be pissed.

Also, you can't compare what he did as the same as PED's era. It is a form of cheating, but it is the cardinal sin in any sport to bet on your own team. Totally disgraceful. And btw, there will be NO players like McGuire, Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod, etc. that will ever get into the HOF. Doesn't matter how many records they broke, they will never get rewarded. I pray that Rose just goes away now and stops trying to get his lifetime ban rescinded. He has no case.
Haywood is correct. Betting undermines the idea of a sport being on the level. As a sport if viewers believe the outcome has been determined, then the sport descends into the gutter. Also baseball had no policy on PEDs until recently, so you could argue that some players weren't even cheating. Bans against betting are posted in every clubhouse and it's a well known taboo and rule. The fact that Rose has lied the whole way is disgraceful. He's an addict in denial who refuses to take any responsibility for his actions. I am dumbfounded how such a piece of crap continues to receive such support to get him in the Hall of Fame.

Now I would let him and any other player in if they put it on the plaques. Just tell the whole story. Pete Rose, most hits in baseball, but banned from baseball for betting on baseball as a player and coach. Barry Bonds, multiple MVP, one of the best left fielders in baseball history, but his stats are inflated after he started taking PEDs.

Don't forget you have to let Shoeless Joe Jackson in also.
Appreciate 1