01-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
No, the ROI sucks in terms of numbers.

It is the intangible value that delivers - the value of pulling away without having to spend 5-10 minutes attempting to clean all the snow off the car and chip away at the ice before driving off. And it is a little safer from trees falling.

This is going to be our forever house unless we go bankrupt. Or the street changes for the worse. So we might as well build now and get the enjoyment out of it, rather than worrying about resale. On resale, it might add 60-80 cents on the dollar, depending on the value to the buyer. Since the house is already worth over a million, the $200K ish we spend on renos isn't going to break a buyer's decision I don't think. Especially in the time frame we expect to sell which won't be for probably 30+ years.
I know all about sucky ROI for certain "improvements" to a home. I have three gas fireplaces in my home. The most expensive of them is in my bedroom where it required new framing, a bump out to the exterior wall to encompass the fireplace, roof extension, and new gas line to be run. But I have my player player/grotto bedroom.
Appreciate 0