View Single Post
      10-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #96
maybe_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Hund View Post
Installation notes and quick review of how the Focal Inside upgrade sounds.

If you do not have a set of installer trim tools, spend the $12 on Amazon and buy this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8GHB7O...roduct_details
The stepped feature on the tool second from the right is perfect for popping the trim pieces out inside of the handholds of the door.

Go ahead and buy a pack of BMW door trim retainer clips. When you break one you will be happy that you spent an extra $10. (I will have to take the a couple of the door panels off again to replace these clips.) Part number is 51417325082 and they are available on ebay.

I watched a couple of the different videos from bimmer-tech and bavsound for some guidance on how to swap the speakers.

The biggest time sink on this whole process was not having the replacement clips and then getting the panels back on. The last speaker that I replaced, rear door, took about 10 minutes total. Don't ask about the first one...

As for sound, wow, what a difference. There are actually highs now and they are crisp. My first test was some Tori Amos and I could hear the sounds of piano keys being played and her voice was nice and clear. I've run through some Amy Winehouse and an assortment of music off of the phone. I'm quite happy with how the whole focal set (except subs) sound relative to the stock "HiFi" speakers. Need to listen a bit more, but I am rather convinced that I do need to upgrade the amp as I need to turn the dial up to about 70% to have a decent volume level and I can hear the distortion of the stock electronics.

Total investment so far is about $600 and a few hours of time.

Thanks, just received the speakers and tools, now waiting for door clips to arrive before attempting. The german seller shipped it next day and it arrived in CA within a week.
Appreciate 0