01-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #35
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
Thanks Gerry. So in short, the extra $ features of auto steering aren't being used. Would you pay for the pro package again?
Absolutely. The steering works great in advanced cruise and stop and go on the highway. It keeps you in the lane with almost no effort on your part. Signal a lane change and it will execute it perfectly (assuming there's no one in the lane, it won't change lanes until the lane is clear.) It definitely reduces fatigue on a long highway drive.

The advanced stop & go works well, but I don't do a lot of driving where it's needed. But the few times I have, it's worked very well.

What doesn't work so well is steering intervention on the lane departure warning. In that mode, you are driving. If it senses you crossing a lane boundary without signaling, it generates a warning -- vibration in the wheel. With steering intervention on, it will 'push' the steering to move you back in your lane and then disengage.

If you're inattentive and drifting off, it's likely a good thing. If you're actively driving, it can be annoying. As I said, it tends to get confused by intersections where lanes change widths or are not aligned. There are also those times where I'm over the line to avoid a jerk in the lane next to me. So I just leave intervention off.

Gerry