Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I did some more testing on this today.

1. The "Auto" button is a single action button not a toggle on/off button. It does one thing only. It turn's on the "Auto" function of the headlights. For example, where I live, it was overcast with low hanging clouds in the afternoon around 3:30 PM. When the "Auto" button is turned on the headlights will come on even though it's not anywhere near dusk or dawn. Just less bright than on a clear day. Additionally, they will activate when you enter a tunnel, heavily shaded area, or when it starts raining.

2. The only scenarios where you can turn off the headlights is when the car is stopped. You can, turn the headlights off if you are stopped and the car is running even with the transmission in Drive and the engine running. However, as soon as you start moving pushing the Off button will not turn off the headlights. The message it throws is "Headlights OFF Not while driving".

3. While parked in the garage after returning from my drive, the Headlights were in the "Auto" mode (Auto Mode button LED illuminated). The headlights turned on as soon as I entered the garage. Once I put the car in park I pressed the headlights off button and the headlights turned off. I turned them on again by pressing the "Auto" button. Next, I turned the headlights off by pressing the Off button while the car was still running in Park. I shut the engine off and then started it again. The headlights came on and the "Auto" button LED was illuminated automatically.

So, in a nutshell, the only way you can turn off the headlights is if the car is stopped. However, if it gets really dark, as in dusk or after dark, the headlights will still come back on automatically even though they were turned off before it got dark. When they do come on after being in the off position the Auto LED button will be illuminated.

These headlights are Automatic by default. BMW should rename the "Auto" button to "Adaptive" instead of "Auto" because that's how the "Auto" button works currently. It adapts to the climate conditions such as raining, dusk, dark, etc.
Additionally, AUTO is needed to use cornering lights, steering light adjustment, laser lights, and etc.
Appreciate 0