View Single Post
      12-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

MOst of today's instrument panels are illuminated whenever the vehicle is on. When driving around town at night, it is not at all uncommon to see at least one vehicle that does not have their headlights on. When there are street lights, and you can see your instrument panel, the clue to turn the actual headlights on may not be big enough for today's inept or distracted drivers to turn them on. As a safety thing, I don't see a good reason to actually turn them off. Some countries require daylight running lights for this reason. While many things in a modern BMW are controllable with the right computer settings, BMW has not chosen to make many of them available to the user. This is a business decision, and one sometimes dictated by national law based on where the vehicle is delivered.

Yes, many of those functions, nominally locked out from normal user control, can be modified with 'coding' the vehicle. As a result, the community is spoiled into thinking that they have the right to modify the vehicle any way they want.

The way I look at it, while that is a nice feature, it is not sold to the customer that way otherwise, they'd include it in the normal menus. You bought the vehicle as is. If you can't change it, tough!

That won't stop me or anyone from searching for ways to customize their vehicle, but complaining about the features as sold might get the manufacturer to change things, but is not a requirement. If it bothers you so much, next time, don't buy the same vehicle. IOW, if you don't like the implementation as delivered, you probably shouldn't have bought it if it bothers you that much. ANything that you tweak afterwards is a bonus. Few things in life are perfect.
Appreciate 0