10-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #61
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
It is worth noting that the camera system is 1080P - or 1920 x 1080. If you use the camera to record a situation manually, you can select a single camera and get the full resolution. You might pick the front camera, for example.

But for the purposes of monitoring for accidents, it is probably best to keep all four cameras going, because you cannot predict from which direction an accident will come.
So when using all four cameras, the overall resolution is still 1920x1080, but it is divided into 4 quadrants. So each camera gets a quadrant of the screen, and each quadrant has dimensions of 960x540. So when you see the accident in this video, all you care about is the rear camera, but you can only see a resolution of 960x540 in that quadrant.

The constraint is not the individual camera lens. What matters is how many pixels are available on the silicon chip that is recording (in this case 1920x1080). These pixels can be assigned to a single camera, or allotted to multiple cameras.

In my case, I was disappointed that this option was not included on the X5 I purchased, even though I had the the parking assistance package, etc. so I should have all these cameras. I would have had to get the Executive Package to have this feature, if I recall correctly). I learned later that I could add this feature through the App Store, and I got it immediately, for reasons that are obvious in the original post above.
So is there no way to pick a channel and export that only? Like front or rear only? It's all or nothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotno View Post
Just giving an update. We are shy of two months since the incident. Car went into the BMW certified collision center late August.

Car is still in the shop. From what I understand, the whip lash protection headrest can not be reset so they have to completely replace them. Also, since my car came with the towing package and trailer hitch. The part number that was ordered for a replacement, did not match what was sent from Germany. So the part number that pulls up with my VIN is not the correct part. They sent a part with a lower tow rating. Also, the exhaust took weeks to get in.

Long story short, DO NOT GET HIT.
Did they say if the hitch receiver took most of the impact and prevented rear from getting more damage? I wonder if that's what caused more damage on drunk's car? Usually in rear ends the car in the back gets a bigger damage since front ends are designed to absorb the impact and have crumple zones with a lot of empty space in front of the engine block.