Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
F1 insider claims

PU manufacturers control engine modes even during the race.

Mercedes HPP can overrule Mclaren’s, Williams and AM ability to use a particular power mode in the race. Apparently, the switch sequence can be changed for each race for power modes. It’s unclear if unauthorized switch changes can be vetoed remotely.

Likewise RBR and AT need Hondas ok to change engine modes.

Factors of longevity, temps, mileage are considered but ultimately PU manufacturer has final say, so plenty of discretionary room to slow or speed up certain cars.

This could explain Russell’s massive performance improvement in some races, after all he is Merc’s future.
Several years ago this post was 100% accurate. The change occurred with the advent of fixed modes from the Beginning of Quali to Race to end the alleged, "Party Mode", advantage Mercedes had.

The post is correct in that there is an engine manufacturers team assigned to each customer team to monitor the engine, it's utilization, and performance. These teams are in an advisory capacity and while the customer must REQUEST permission for certain things, having the engine manufacturer control what the customer team does with the engine, outside of safety or reliability concerns, is AGAINST the sporting code.

On slowing and speeding up certain cars...this is patently illegal. It has been illegal for quite a while to remotely control the performance of the Power Unit. Further, in the current sporting code, once an engine has been turned down during a race for whatever reason, it cannot be turned back up.

I fully understand why these and other myths are propagated about the PU based on this account which I'm providing from RaceFans about when Lotus ran the Mercedes Power Unit. It's fantastic:

https://www.racefans.net/2017/11/09/...ding-puncture/
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 4
minn1913970.00
Steeler2422.00
Bubbles2752.00