03-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
It makes sense there wont be a new model for another 5-6 years, as they seems to work on a ~7 year cycle for their models.

There was quite a bit of media coverage when they short-cycled the last F15 model - which only went from 2103 to 2018 (~5 years)., and those media reports we're stating around 7 years as the standard model lifecycle.

HOWEVER, what I do notice about BMW is they do update their base features, and options list, AND refresh a few features like leather color, external body color (..etc) around every 2-3 years.
Eg.. they may introduce Assisted Driving View (ADV), Driver Assist Package (DAP), Laser lights as "Standard" equipment across all models, usually to keep the momentum going on sales.

For one, many people having been complaining about not having access to a light metallic silver external color. For the life of me, I don't know WHY (???) BMW wouldn't have that since its such a common and popular prestige color - so that might get introduced soon. I would've gone for that color if it were available...

With these little tweaks, they also usually play with pricing $$$$.
(eg. increase the price by 0.5% to account for new "standard" features, and adjust according to competition)
First off, I too remember a lot of "noise" when BMW shorted the F15/F16 cycle. Lots of "Is this the new norm?" sorts of things. While it's simply opinion/speculation on my part, I think there's a decent chance the 5 year cycle had a lot to do with their desire to get the X5/X6 onto the CLAR architecture. They'd planned the X7 on this in the same timeframe and since all of the X7's, X5's, and X6's are built in Spartanburg, there was value on the manufacturing side to get all of them onto the CLAR architecture...It's quite possible I read this somewhere...This is a good article on it: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rive50i-drive/.
Appreciate 0