View Single Post
      02-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #32
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I totally agree with not using waterless wash spray with heavily soiled paint on a regular basis. It’s not really what it was designed to do. It’s a touch up wash with lightly dirty vehicles. Like getting caught in a quick rain shower.

The answer to the OP is there isn't any quick easy magic solution. Detailing a vehicle is a regular process that takes time and effort. A every day vehicle in the North East requires monitoring your paint and making planned washing’s that usually has you studying your weather app for days when the temp is slightly above freezing. Those with a garage have a huge advantage.

As for a top coat protective layer (wax vs ceramic) you have to decide on what the is most important, shine or endurance. There is no one perfect product that has a concours shine and ever lasting protection. A great show room shine is much different than a concours finish that requires hours of paint correction before you ever get into products. The reality is this level of finish isn’t for everyone and most will never ever put in the time and effort to get that last 2% of perfection. It’s that last 2% of perfection that requires the most time and will separate a podium win at Hershey verses a great showing at cars and coffee.

All paint colors get just as dirty and have micro scratches. Many of these micro scratches come from the wrong materials used to wipe, buff and dry the paint. A ocd owner that likes to constantly buff his paint with contaminated towels is his own worst enemy. This is where the detailing spray or waterless wash spray becomes a problem. If you don’t have a large supply of clean quality microfiber towels then you probably are stretching the towels you have too far and causing micro scratching toward the last few panels you clean. It’s not the product or the concept but the execution that fails.

You hear that old saying that “Black cars gets dirty too fast”. Obviously this isn’t true. It’s just darker colors are the most “honest” in displaying their condition. It’s also why the darker colors can be the most rewarding and most reflective when done correctly. Warning: the darker colors also show when you don’t detail correctly and short cuts will always be exposed over time.

I work with enough professional detailing companies that supply me their latest products to get feedback before it goes to market and usually the instructions for the consumer isn’t clear enough. Professional level of detailing products tend to “assume” the end user already knows the basic do’s and don’t’s. This is why you see rookies stumble the most because they never really learned the basics first. They think the pro level of products are a quick “do it all” for every scenario because they cost more.
I have a full reference library of automotive detailing books I started out with 30 years ago and I highly recommend a classic/basic book of detailing for reference for the owner that wants to start out the right way. A good example is “Ultimate Auto Detailing by David Jacobs” . Read the book before you experiment on your car. The products are newer today than what’s in the book but the basic techniques are accurate. It’s like everything else that it requires a bit of knowledge and practice before you get the results you are looking for. “There is NO shortcuts

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-23-2020 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3128.50