View Single Post
      02-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #37
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
We have rain basically 5 days out of every week all winter and spring long here which seems to always include Monday mornings. Since the only time I have to wash mine is the weekend, I don’t see the sense in spending 3 hours of my life washing and drying it only to have it erased Monday morning when I back out of the driveway. So for me I’m basically always driving a dirty car because a dry Monday here is rare indeed.
We have a pecking order in our fleet in how each car is maintained. You have to pick your battles.

All my vehicles are garage kept so they are a tier 1 for all the German cars, Motorcycles. My Power Wagon is a tier 2 which is really my everyday car. It is kept in really sharp looking condition for how it’s used but it also lives in a heated garage when not driven.
My wife’s cars which live outside have a much harder life. She has a new black Audi A4 and Jeep that she drives to work. Her Jeep is a total beater that gets very little love (tier 4) simply because it gets door dings at her many parking lots (she is a District Post Master) and the car lives outside. It is called on to take packages out to carriers in the worst weather in the remote mountains of PA.
It’s a Jeep and used as a Jeep. I will drive one of her cars if mine are clean and it’s raining.

You want to keep your luxury/sports cars nice, always have a beater car. That’s the dirty little secret when living in a snow state most everybody does once you start acquiring a few very nice cars in the collection.

Her Audi is her “good” car but still lives outside so there is only so much you are going to do other than regular wash and waxing. It’s a solid tier 3.
It gets driven to work when she wants but she will never upkeep that car like a garaged car. I will go over it in the summer and correct as much damage from the winter months. It always comes out really good but I detest the feeling of reconning a vehicle as opposed to detailing one. It’s easier to keep a car up than bring it back from abuse. It is what it is and keeps me working in the dirty levels of car care. For my sanity and hers, we have “my cars” and “her cars”. That way I don’t go berserk when she leaves coffee cups half filled with coffee in her cupholder over night.
Just buy your wife her own car as a gift and keep your cars separate. 25 years of a happy marriage has taught me that it is the best way if you can afford to do so.

Notice even new Audi’s get kicked out of the garages in my fleet of vehicles.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-24-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 2